President Muhammadu Buhari says the Nigerian government has employed over 8.75 million Nigerians under various empowerment schemes.
Giving a breakdown of the figure, he said seven million Nigerians were engaged under the N- Power scheme, which represented 70 per cent of the targeted beneficiaries, while 1.75 million others were recruited under the National Safety Net Programme for the poor and the vulnerable.
According to ThisDay newspaper, this was contained in the President’s remarks at the 28th convocation and 36th Founders Day ceremony of the Federal University of Technology Minna, Niger State, on Friday.
Buhari was represented by Professor Abubakar Adamu Rashers, the Executive Secretary of the National Universities Commission (NUC).
259,451 Nigerians were also said to have been engaged under government enterprise programmes, while the Bank of Industry (BOI) had also provided “soft loans” to more than 300,000 Nigerians, with others given necessary support and start-up packs.
The President also restated his commitment to “to improving security, providing jobs and eliminating corruption in the country”.
“We have downgraded Boko Haram and we are routing out the remnants of Boko Haram in the North-east and anywhere they are hiding in Nigeria,” he added.
“We are prosecuting high profile Nigerians; we will continue to wage war against corruption.
“My administration is taking some tough decisions today in order to bequeath our future generation better tomorrow that we can all be proud of. We should embrace the idea of making more sacrifice.”
In his remarks, Professor Abdullahi Bala called for more efforts to improve learning in tertiary institutions.
At the event, Olarenwaju Ayobami. Esther of the Department of Computer Engineering, won four awards.
4,433 students graduated with various degrees and diplomas.
- Atiku Abubakar Tells The Story Of His Life (Read) on
- Atiku To Be Invited For Questioning When He Returns From U.S. – Lai Mohammed on
- Fulani army of killers, a finger of the northern elites to legally arm the North. on
- Kogi West APC and the Defeatist | By Gbenga Bright on
- Amazon will let customers try on clothes before they buy on
- Re: Guber Poll: Kogi APC, Gov Bello’s Aides Ask Oshiomhole to Sanction Usman, Mohammed, other Aspirants; the Confused Ranting of an Oracle | By Posi Botun
- Kogi Guber: 20 APC Aspirants Oppose Indirect Primaries
- Gov Bello v. Judiciary: Industrial court puts a spanner in the works By Idowu Akinlotan
- Kogi Guber Race: Igala Elders Reduces Governorship Aspirants From Kogi-East to Six
- Kogi State LG Councils’ Invitation offers for Tender for Projects: A Real Development Stride or Farce By Posi Botun