German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Tuesday that her country would withdraw from coal-fired power production by 2038.
This move showed her support for the deadline recommended by a government-appointed commission that suggested shut down of all coal-fired power plant by 2038.
The so-called coal commission last month also proposed at least 40 billion euros (45.7 billion dollars) in aid to coal-mining states affected by the phase-out.
“We want to be out of coal in 2038. Then we need more gas,” Merkel said in a speech at Keio University in Tokyo, in her first clear indication that she supported the recommendation.
The proposals highlight Germany’s shift to renewables, which made up more than 40 per cent of its energy mix last year, surpassing coal for the first time.
They must now be implemented by the German government and 16 regional states.
The plan, however, has drawn criticism from some in the industry who fear the impact of higher energy prices.
A senior legislator from the most pro-business wing in Merkel’s party hinted in a weekend newspaper interview that the phase-out could be delayed beyond 2038 if the deadline created problems for the security of electricity supply.
- Amazon will let customers try on clothes before they buy on
- Seun kuti Sets To Grace 2019 Grammy Awards on
- EFCC Arraigns Ex-Skye Bank Chair, Tunde Ayeni for Alleged N4.5bn Fraud on
- Insubordination: INEC Result Sheets For Kwara Found In Abuja on
- Exclusive Interviews| Why Governor Bello lost the support of Ebira people – Ohinoyi of Ebiraland on
- Re: Guber Poll: Kogi APC, Gov Bello’s Aides Ask Oshiomhole to Sanction Usman, Mohammed, other Aspirants; the Confused Ranting of an Oracle | By Posi Botun
- Kogi Guber: 20 APC Aspirants Oppose Indirect Primaries
- Gov Bello v. Judiciary: Industrial court puts a spanner in the works By Idowu Akinlotan
- Kogi Guber Race: Igala Elders Reduces Governorship Aspirants From Kogi-East to Six
- Kogi State LG Councils’ Invitation offers for Tender for Projects: A Real Development Stride or Farce By Posi Botun